To be a centre of Excellence for promoting Resource Efficient and Cleaner Production (RECP) and related concepts in Uganda
To promote and implement Resource Efficient and Cleaner Production through capacity building, awareness raising, information dissemination, training, assessments and implementation and technology transfer.
Uganda Cleaner Production Centre (UCPC)
UCPC was established in October 2001 with funding from the Governments of Austria and Norway as part of the 35 family members of over the 35 NCPCs worldwide. Since its establishment it has now developed into a centre of excellence for promoting CP in the country. The programme aims at building national CP capacities, fostering dialogue between industry and government and enhancing investments for transfer and development of environmentally sound technologies. CP has widespread application at all decision-making levels in industry, with the chief focus on adoption of cleaner technologies and techniques within the industrial sector. Costly end-of-pipe pollution control systems are gradually replaced with a strategy that reduces and avoids pollution and waste throughout the entire production cycle, from efficient use of raw materials, energy and water to the final product. UCPC is situated on Plot M217, Jinja Road, Nakawa and is hosted by the Uganda Industrial Research Institute (UIRI). Since its establishment, UCPC has worked with about 120 enterprises and 45 hotels in the service sector through different programmes such as the Eco-Benefits Programme, the EMS/ISO 14001 certification Programme and Eco-Design Programme.
Some of the areas and sectors covered include but not limited to:-
- Pulp and Paper manufacturing
- Metal industries steel rolling mills and hoe manufacturing
- Service sector 45 hotels in Uganda
- Food Processing -Breweries, Fruit processors, Milk processors, Fish processors all in Uganda and some beverage companies in Rwanda, Tea processors, Poultry processors in Uganda
- Meat processing industries
- Chemicals and Battery manufacturing Industry in Uganda
- Textile - Phoenix Logistics (Uganda),UTEXRWA(Rwanda)
- Introduction of cleaner production in Maseru South Africa
- Schools and hospitals.
The role of National Cleaner Production Centres is to promote the Cleaner Production strategy in enterprises and government policies, in harmony with local conditions, and to develop local capacity to create and meet Cleaner Production demand throughout the country. NCPCs’ aim primarily to transfer know-how, not just to transfer technology. The Centres and the Cleaner Production assessors trained by them do not deliver ready-made solutions.They train and advise their clients on how to find the best solutions for their specific problems.Other activities undertaken by the centres typically fall under the following categories: awareness raising, information exchange, education and training, commitment & partnership building, policy advice & development, technical assistance.
As a centre of Excellence for promotion of RECP strategies and technologies, UCPC core functions include
Technical Assistance and In-plant Assessment: UCPC works with enterprises to identify evaluate and implement Resource Efficient and Cleaner Production measures for improving their processes, products or services.
Training in RECP and related concepts: Through training in resource ( water, energy and raw materials) efficiency, UCPC builds the internal technical capacity of staff in the enterprises in RECP and related concepts
Information Dissemination and Awareness Creation: UCPC disseminates information on RECP concepts, methods and benefits to raise awareness about RECP and other related concepts.
Policy Advice: UCPC has worked with key stakeholders to create conducive policy environment for promotion of RECP and other related concepts.
RECP Technology and Investment: UCPC provide technical assistance to enterprises for transfer of Environmentally sound Technologies (ETSs).
- Governments, particularly in developing countries and economies in transition, play an important role in providing the overall policy and economic framework for a country's development. NCPCs thus have an important role in helping governments to identify and develop the policy tools and economic instruments suitable to their country's context which would encourage industry to favor Cleaner Production over end-ofpipe treatment.