What is Cleaner Production?
Cleaner Production (CP) is a preventive, integrated strategy that is applied to the entire production cycle to:
- increase productivity by ensuring a more efficient use of raw materials, energy & water
- promote better environmental performance through reduction at source of waste & emissions
- reduce the environmental impact of products throughout their life cycle by the design of environmentally friendly but cost-effective products.
What does CP mean in practice?
For production processes, CP includes:
- More efficient use of raw materials, water and energy
- Elimination of toxic or dangerous process input materials
- Minimizing the volume and toxicity of all emissions and waste
For products, CP focuses on:
- Reducing impacts through the products’ life cycle
- Adapting design, raw material input, manufacturing, use, and disposal
For services, CP implies:
Preventive environmental strategy in the design and delivery of services.
The net effect is for your enterprise to become more competitive, thereby facilitating your access to (inter)nat. markets.